Trivia for The Star
Showing all 27 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- Walden Media's first animated film.
- Christopher Plummer plays King Herod the Great. In Jesus of Nazareth (1977), Plummer played Herod the Great's son Herod Antipas, who was on the council that sentenced Jesus to death in the Easter story.
- Keegan-Michael Key's third Sony Animation Film, after Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015) and The Angry Birds Movie (2016).
- Oprah Winfrey's fourth time voice acting, after Charlotte's Web (2006), Bee Movie (2007), and The Princess and the Frog (2009).
- Zachary Levi's second animated film, after Tangled (2010).
- Tracy Morgan and Kristin Chenoweth's second animated film together, after 20th Century Fox's Rio 2 (2014) released three years prior.
- Released in November 2017, a month earlier than it was originally intended.
- Kristin Chenoweth's second animated film of 2017, after My Little Pony: The Movie (2017).
- First trailer of the film was shown the same day as the release Sony Animation's previous film, The Emoji Movie (2017).
- This is the first Sony Pictures Animation film to be rated G by the MPAA.
- Gina Rodriguez, who voices Mary, also played a pregnant virgin on the first season of the TV series Jane the Virgin (2014).
- The Jim Henson Company logo was from the Movie Mirrormask (2005).
- Gabriel Iglesias' second Sony Animation film, after Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017) released earlier the same year.
- Christopher Plummer's fifth time voicing in an animated theatrical film, after An American Tail (1986), Rock-A-Doodle (1991), Up (2009), and 9 (2009).
- The second Sony Pictures Animation's Christmas film, after Arthur Christmas (2011).
- Mariah Carey officially introduced and released herself the first trailer online. She will also be singing the original song "The Star" for the movie. It will be her fourth Christmas song that she wrote to be featured in a movie after All I Want For Christmas Is You, Where Are You Christmas and Oh Santa.
- Gabriel Iglesias' first animated feature in which he plays an antagonist. In the other animated films he was in, he's usually a supporting minor protagonist.
- Ving Rhames' third theatrically released animated film, after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001) and Lilo & Stitch (2002).
- Released on the same day as Wonder (2017), another film from Walden Media.
- This is the second time Mariah Carey has sung a song for an animated religious movie. The first time was The Prince of Egypt (1998), where she sang the song "When You Believe" with the late Whitney Hudson.
- The Star is produced by Affirm Films, a company under Sony that produces and distributes mainly conservative Christian films.
- The first Sony Pictures Animation film to not have Sony Pictures Imageworks do the animation. Instead Cinesite studios provided the imagery and animation which was a great departure from other Sony Pictures Animation films which has the animation and imagery provided by Sony Pictures Imageworks.
- First film to have Columbia Pictures, Sony Pictures Animation, Franklin Entertainment, Walden Media, and Affirm Films to collaborate together.
- Kristin Chenoweth's fifth theatrically released animated film, after Space Chimps (2008), Rio 2 (2014), The Peanuts Movie (2015), and My Little Pony: The Movie (2017).
- Joel McCrary's third Sony Animation film, after The Smurfs (2011) and The Smurfs 2 (2013).
- The Nativity story has previously been told from the animals' perspective in at least two animated shorts: The Night the Animals Talked (1970) and Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey (1977).
- When Old Donkey releases Bo from the mill stone, he tells Bo to go as he is now free, and technically sacrifices his own freedom to give a younger donkey the chance to be free. In Christian belief, the coming of Jesus was to free people from the laws and bindings of the Old Testament, by Jesus being the sacrifice; to release people who believe into freedom from the old laws.