Trivia for The Mountain Between Us
Showing all 19 items
Jump to: Spoilers (4)
- Michael Fassbender was originally attached to play Dr. Ben Payne but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts.
- Margot Robbie was originally attached to play Ashley Knox, however Robbie dropped out after Fassbender left the project.
- Gerardo Naranjo was previously attached to direct.
- Rosamund Pike replaced Margot Robbie as Alex Martin but eventually dropped out for unknown reasons.
- Charlie Hunnam replaced Michael Fassbender as doctor Ben Bass but eventually dropped out for unknown reasons.
- After Michael Fassbender and Margot Robbie dropped out of the project, they were replaced by Charlie Hunnam and Rosamund Pike. However, both dropped out of the project after it was put into turnaround. Idris Elba and Kate Winslet were eventually cast.
- The trailer was meant to be out at the end of April 2017 but was delayed
- This is the 2nd movie in which Dermot Mulroney stars in a film which features a plane crash in Arctic conditions and a battle of survival. The other movie was "The Grey" starring Liam Neeson.
- Production was delayed a few days so Kate Winslet could attend a memorial service for Alan Rickman.
- Most of the filming took place in Canada, on the border of Alberta and British Columbia. Abu-Assad has described the locations as having very cold temperatures, and tough and harsh filming conditions. Many scenes were shot on a mountaintop, and he and the crew had to drive 40 minutes before reaching the film's base camp. If the weather was okay, they could board the helicopter to reach their destination along with their supplies.
- Gardener, due to having spent his whole life on Mars with only a handful of humans, a robot, and old-school movies to teach him how to interact with others.
- Doctor Ben Bass says he's from Baltimore, Idris Elba played Russel "Stringer" Bell in the hit show "The Wire", which was based in Baltimore.
- Near the end of the movie, Ben carries Alex on a makeshift sled after she walks most of the film. In the novel, the female protagonist (named Ashley instead of Alex) is carried on a makeshift sled for most of the story.
- "Dog" is played by two Yellow Labradors named Raleigh and Austin.
- Scott Frank did an uncredited rewrite of the script.
- Both this movie and the movie Alive (1993) feature plane crashes. Both movies were filmed in the mountains near Invermere, British Columbia.
- Idris Elba and Kate Winslet did the majority of their own stunts including when Kate Winslet falls through the ice and into the lake. A 6-foot wide by 6-foot deep tank was built and buried beneath the snow with a trap door to make the shot as realistic as possible. At the time of filming, it was -5 degrees Fahrenheit when Winslet falls into the water.
- The plane ride and crash scene was filmed in a "long take" meaning there is no cut sequence during the duration of the entire scene. Idris Elba, Kate Winslet, Beau Bridges, and "Dog" rehearsed this particular scene for a week before shooting it. The actors had to know cues as specific as when the camera moves/pans/rotates, what they would have to do and/or say. Even "Dog" was trained for specific cues which the actors also had to react to.
- As in numerous cases, there are many differences from the book to the movie including: how Ben's wife dies, the amount of time Alex spends walking vs being pulled by Ben in a makeshift-stretcher, the type of dog, various character names, the sex scene, and the pilot's story about the love of his life.