Trivia for The Florida Project
Showing all 13 items
Jump to: Spoilers (2)
- Willem Dafoe spent a week living in the filming area before production in order to immerse himself in the life of the characters & master the nuances of the regional dialect.
- In the original script, Willem Dafoe's character Bobby was meant to have a brother who helped out at the hotel. However, as filming progressed, the parent-child relationship theme manifested itself more clearly, and the decision was made for him instead to have a son. Caleb Landry Jones was cast only two weeks prior to shooting his scenes.
- The Florida Project was an early development name for Disney World.
- In a 2017 BBC radio interview, the director clarified that the film's garish motel settings are genuine motels. They continued operating as working businesses during filming, and some real-life residents and staff are seen in the film.
- Sean Baker discovered Bria Vinaite for the lead role on Instagram.
- One of American film critic Chase Whale's top 10 films of the year.
- It premiered in the Directors' Fortnight section of the 2017 Cannes Film Festival.
- It was chosen by both the National Board of Review and American Film Institute as one of the top 10 films of the year. Dafoe earned Best Supporting Actor nominations at the Golden Globes, BAFTA Awards, and Academy Awards.
- In one scene, Halley and her daughter are watching a TV show in their room. This show is "Greg the Bunny," a show which writer and director Sean Baker co-created.
- Frequent flying of helicopters overhead was written into the script because production did not have enough budget to stop the helicopters from flying.
- A24 is best known for their films Lady Bird, Moonlight, The Disaster Artist, The Lobster, The Witch, and Ex Machina.
- While the majority of the film was shot on 35mm film, director Sean Baker admitted to returning to his "guerrilla filmmaking techniques" to capture the final scene, which was instead shot on an iPhone and contains footage from inside Walt Disney World, filmed without the park's knowledge or consent.
- When Moonee runs away from CPS to Jancey's hotel room, she cries and says "you're my best friend", Jancey is wearing a shirt that reads "You're my BFF".