The Big Sick
- 1hr 59m
Hmm... we couldn't find any showtimes for this date and location.
Movie Info & Cast
Director: Michael Showalter
Producer: Judd Apatow, Glen Basner, Ben Browning
Writer: Emily V. Gordon, Kumail Nanjiani
Release Date: Jul 14, 2017
Runtime: 1hr 59m
A couple deals with their cultural differences as their relationship grows.
- Kumail Nanjiani
- Zoe Kazan
- Holly Hunter
- Ray Romano
- Anupam Kher
- Zenobia Shroff
- Adeel Akhtar
- Bo Burnham
- Aidy Bryant
- Kurt Braunohler
Did You Know?
- The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival where it was very well received, which started a bidding war between Sony, Focus Features, Amazon and Netflix for the distribution rights. The co-creator of the film, Kumail Nanjiani, wanted the film to have theatrical distribution, which eliminated Netflix from the bidding war since they are not a proponent in that distribution model. The film's distribution rights were eventually bought for around $12 million by Amazon, who is a big proponent of the theatrical experience, with all of its films getting at least some kind of theatrical run. The $12 million deal was one of the largest deals in Sundance's history.
- Although the film is set in Chicago and Emily is said to be at "City Hospital," a sign for Katz Women's Hospital at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New York is clearly visible when Kumail arrives.
- Terry: So, uh, 9/11.
- Kumail: What's my stance on 9/11? Oh um, anti. It was a tragedy, I mean we lost 19 of our best guys.
- Beth: Huh?
- Kumail: That was a joke, obviously. 9/11 was a terrible tragedy. And it's not funny to joke about it.
- [everyone looks at Terry expectantly]
- Terry: No I mean, I've always wanted to have a conversation with
- [gestures at Kumail]
- Terry: about it. With
- [gestures again at Kumail]
- Terry: people.
- Kumail: You've never talked to people about 9/11?
- Terry: No what's your, what's your stance?
Full Screen Image Viewer