Trivia for Hostiles
Showing all 25 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- This will be the first time Christian Bale and Scott Cooper worked together since Out of the Furnace (2013).
- Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike were supposed to work together a year before, in a movie called The Deep Blue Good-By, directed by James Mangold but the project fell through due to Bale's leg injuries. Bale recovered but the project didn't resurface and he teamed up with Pike for this project.
- This will be the second time Rosamond Pike has worked with a Batman actor. She also worked with Ben Affleck in Gone Girl (2014).
- This is the second collaboration between Scott Cooper and Jesse Plemons. The previous was Black Mass (2015).
- Christian Bale, Q'orianka Kilcher and Wes Studi also starred in The New World (2005).
- Christian Bale and Ben Foster starred together in another western, 3:10 to Yuma (2007), a decade prior to this film.
- The second collaboration between Christian Bale and Ben Foster the first being the 2007 remake of 310 to Yuma which was also a western
- Scott Cooper became interested in casting Rosamund Pike after seeing her in the music video Massive Attack: Voodoo in My Blood (2016).
- Rosamund Pike revealed in an interview that she and Christian Bale barely spoke during filming outside of shooting their scenes, saying that Bale "would keep a distance. Our characters in 'Hostiles' are quite dysfunctional but have this profound connection that we let happen without ever really talking about it".
- Christian Bale, Stephen Lang and Rory Cochrane previously worked together in Public Enemies (2009).
- Rory Cochrane and Jesse Plemons both starred in Black Mass (2015), also directed by Scott Cooper.
- Christian Bale and Rory Cochrane previously worked together in Public Enemies (2009).
- Actors, Wes Studi and Adam Beach, have appeared together in other films, most notably as Detective Joe Leaphorn and Sargent Jim Chee in three movies based on books written by Tony Hillerman; "A Thief in Time, Coyote Waits, and Skinwalkers." They have also appeared in other films including "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee."
- The film was shot in chronological order.
- Opening Red Carpet Gala movie on the 14th Dubai International Film Festival 2017.
- Scott Cooper wrote the characters of Christian Bale, Wes Studi, Jesse Plemons, Rory Cochrane, Q'orianka Kilcher, Adam Beach, Stephen Lang and Bill Camp expressly for each actor to play.
- "Hostiles" went into production without a distributor. With a budget of almost $40m, this was a huge gamble for financier Ken Kao.
- The widow of credited screenwriter Donald E. Stewart found the "Hostiles" script when moving house. Stewart, who died in 1999, had not shopped the manuscript to any studios, and his wife was surprised to come across it. After seeing Crazy Heart (2009) and Out of the Furnace (2013), she felt that Scott Cooper was the right man to shepherd it towards the screen.
- Second film to co-star Wes Studi and Stephen Lang, the first was Avatar (2009).
- According to Scott Cooper, Timothée Chalamet was the only actor who had to audition for the film.
- This is the second Western film Christian Bale has starred in.
- Hostiles takes place mostly outdoors. As the movie was shot on location in New Mexico and Arizona during monsoon season the cast and crew were exposed to the elements. Indeed, filming had to be often shut down for a time because of lightning storms.
- Q'orianka Kilcher said she suffered from heat stroke during filming.
- Jesse Plemmons and Ben Foster previously started together in The Program(2015) about the scandal surrounding Lance Armstrong's doping.
- Christian Bale initially had reservations about the close of film feeling it was "a movie ending" and would debate Scott Cooper on the matter. Bale felt that his character should just disappear into the crowd never to be seen again. Trusting Cooper's vision he filmed the scene as written and came to appreciate the ending for its hopefulness but also for the questions it raised about the future.