Trivia for Gringo
Showing all 7 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- Charlize Theron and Amanda Seyfried previously starred alongside each other in A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014).
- Charlize Theron and Sharlto Copley are both from South Africa.
- This was the film debut of Paris Jackson.
- Director Nash Edgerton is the brother of star Joel Edgerton.
- The character of Harold was rewritten to have a Nigerian background after David Oyelowo was cast. Oyelowo pitched director Nash Edgerton on the earnest naivety that such a character could bring.
- At the beginning of the film, David Oyelowo's character sings "Getting Jiggy With It" by Will Smith. Smith starred in Bright (2017) with Joel Edgerton.
- The movie contains several references to Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. Most obviously, Oyelowo grabs a copy of the book when quickly packing to leave the St Regis hotel room. Also, Theron's character discards a framed photo of Edgerton's character participating at the running of the bulls in San Fermin (made famous by the novel). Further, the movie's plot generally relates to the novel's in that it follows an American man's journey in a Spanish-speaking country. Finally, though more of a reference to Hemingway generally, Oyelowo's character opens a "Harry's Bar," a reference to the real life Manhattan and Venice bar that Hemingway often frequented and wrote about.