Trivia for Den of Thieves
Showing all 20 items
Jump to: Spoilers (2)
- The film was shot in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Eric Braeden (Ziggy Zerhusen) is the father of the writer and director Christian Gudegast.
- Gerard Butler gained twenty-five pounds for his role, as recommended by director Christian Gudegast.
- The film was in development for roughly fourteen years, where director Christian Gudegast and a writing partner had a blind deal with New Line Cinema in 2003. The project was also later supposed to be distributed by the now-defunct Relativity Media at one point as well.
- Pablo Schreiber who plays Ray Merrimen (one of the villains) is in real life the half-brother of well-known actor Liev Schreiber.
- Although set in Los Angeles, the vast majority of the film was shot in Atlanta, Georgia.
- This was the second time Pablo Schreiber played a thief masquerading as an armored security guard. The first time was Matsya Nyaya (2012).
- Amongst the cast, there are four UFC fighters: John Lewis, Max Holloway, Oleg Taktarov and Michael Bisping.
- Christian Gudegast's original cut of the film was closer to 160 minutes and featured a different ending.
- Gerard Butler and his crew are loosely based on former ATF agent, Jay Dobyns, who consulted on the film. Dobyns is best known for his undercover work and his willingness to infiltrate crime organizations, much like Gerard Butler's character. Dobyns makes a cameo in the film at the bar Donnie works at in LA, closing his tab at the bar.
- Marcus LaVoi's last name (which plays the Marcus Rhodes character) is similar in phonetics by 50 Cent's character's last name, which is Levoux. You can hear this at minute 45 in the movie.
- Although set in Los Angeles, a vast majority of filming took place in Atlanta, to take advantage of the state's tax breaks.
- In the closing credits the $100 bill has the serial number DOT00002018, for Den of Thieves 2018 the release year.
- After the initial robbery Ray Merrimen (Pablo Shreiber) tells Bosco (Evan Jones) "Be careful with those guns, I don't want any accidental discharges). In 8 Mile Evan Jones plays Cheddar Bob, B Rabbits childhood friend who shoots himself with his own gun.
- The bar shown prominently in this film is named "Ziggy's". Pablo Schrieber played the brother to Ziggy Sobotka is season 2 of "The Wire".
- During the beginning of the film Pablo Schrieber's character Merriman says to Bosco played by Evan Jones to be careful with his weapon and that he doesn't want any accidental discharges. Evan Jones played the character Rabbit in "8 Mile" where he accidentally shot himself.
- In February 2018, a sequel was announced with Gudegast signed on to write and direct. Additionally, Butler, Jackson Jr and 50 Cent in talks to reprise their roles.
- Prior to filming, two separate boot camps were run in order to get the cops and the robbers in shape for their respective roles with both groups training separately to enforce a rival atmosphere. Interestingly, each group was trained differently by military consultant Paul Maurice.
- Ex cons are not usually allowed to go to a gun range
- There is a part in the trailer, where the cops stop paramedics from helping the bad guy from getting medical attention and he eventually dies, that was cut from the theatrical release of the movie.