Trivia for Darkest Hour
Showing all 10 items
- Third collaboration between Gary Oldman and Sir John Hurt. They previously appeared in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011).
- Gary Oldman is the fifth "Harry Potter" actor to portray Winston Churchill after Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore) in Churchill's Secret (2016), Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew) in The King's Speech (2010), Brendan Gleeson (Mad Eye Moody) in Into the Storm (2009), and Robert Hardy in War and Remembrance (1988) and Bomber Harris (1989).
- A passion project for Screenwriter Anthony McCarten.
- Final film of Sir John Hurt.
- John Hurt's final film. The film will also be dedicated in his memory.
- Second role that Gary Oldman has shared with his "Harry Potter" castmate Timothy Spall. They have both played Rosencrantz, in Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990) and Hamlet (1996), respectively.
- Sir John Hurt died during the filming of the film. Hurt was supposed to be in the film portraying Neville Chamberlain, but Gary Oldman said in an interview, that because of how sick he was, and that he never made it to a reading, Hurt never filmed a scene, as he was being treated for cancer, which later took his life, as filming was going on. The film will still be dedicated to Hurt, as it was his final project, with which he was involved.
- The second film about Churchill in 2017, the first being Churchill (2017), starring Brian Cox.
- Sir John Hurt was originally cast as Neville Chamberlain, but had to withdraw due to health issues (he died during filming). The role was then given to Ronald Pickup.
- Ronald Pickup, who plays Neville Chamberlain, was Winston Churchill's father, Sir Randolph Churchill in the 1974 mini-series Jennie: Lady Randolph Churchill.