Trivia for Annihilation
Showing all 13 items
- Based on the first book in the Southern Reach trilogy.
- Both Oscar Isaac and Natalie Portman have starred in a Star Wars movie. Isaac is in the Star Wars sequel trilogy and Portman was in the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
- This will be the second collaboration between Alex Garland and Oscar Isaac after Ex Machina (2014).
- Frances McDormand was considered for a role before Jennifer Jason Leigh was cast.
- One filming location is Holkham Beach, Norfolk, UK, during July 2016.
- Oscar Issac and Sonoya Mizuno previously starred together in Ex Machina, written and directed by Alex Garland.
- Natalie Portman, Tessa Thompson, Oscar Issac, Benedict Wong, David Gyasi and Alex Garland have worked on at least one comic book movie: . Portman starred in both Thor (2011), Thor: The Dark World (2013), and V for Vendetta (2005) . Thompson starred in Thor: Ragnarok (2017) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018) . Issac starred in X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) . Wong starred in Kick-Ass 2 (2013) and Doctor Strange (2016) . Garland wrote the script for Dredd (2012) . Gyasi starred in The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Julianne Moore and Tilda Swinton were in talks to star in the movie.
- In 2014, Paramount Pictures acquired rights to the novel with writer-director Alex Garland set to adapt the script and direct the film in May 2015. Natalie Portman entered into talks to star in the film. In November 2015, Jane the Virgin star Gina Rodriguez was in talks to co-star in the film with Portman. In March 2016, it was announced that Oscar Isaac would be joining the cast of the film.
- None of the characters in this movie have a known name. They all go by their occupation (e.g. The Biologist, The Psychologist).
- First R rated film between Paramount Pictures and Skydance, and the second Skydance film overall to receive that rating.
- Alex Garland decided not to reread "Annihilation" instead deciding to adapt it 'like a dream of the book'
- Natalie Portman, Benedict Wong, and Tessa Thompson have all starred in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Portman was Jane Foster in the first two "Thor" films; Benedict Wong played 'Wong' in "Doctor Strange" (2016); and Thompson played Valkyrie in "Thor: Ragnarok" (2017).