Trivia for All the Money in the World
Showing all 12 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- When the project was in development Angelina Jolie was offered the lead female role of Gail Harris, the mother of John Paul Getty III, but declined. When the project was officially announced, Natalie Portman had been offered the Gail Harris role. However, she had to decline as she was giving birth to her second baby. Michelle Williams was finally cast.
- Originally, Jack Nicholson was offered the role of Jean Paul Getty. but he declined the offer. Kevin Spacey eventually signed on for the role, but was then replaced by Christopher Plummer.
- Filming started on Mark Wahlberg's birthday, June 5th.
- Alongside Alien: Covenant (2017), this film marks the second time Ridley Scott has directed two films released in a single year. The first time was in 2001, when Scott films Hannibal (2001) and Black Hawk Down (2001) were released.
- Gary Oldman was considered for the role of J. Paul Getty.
- The film was originally going to have its premiere at the AFI Fest, but Sony withdrew the film following a series of sexual assault allegations made against Kevin Spacey.
- In replacing Kevin Spacey, Christopher Plummer portrays the grandfather of a character played by Charlie Plummer; the two are, however, not related.
- On November 8th, 2017, Sony and the film's production team unanimously opted to replace Kevin Spacey as J. Paul Getty with Christopher Plummer. The decision was made just over a month prior to the December 22nd wide release. This was the second time Scott was faced with drastic re-shoots during his career. He had previously almost had to abandon Gladiator (2000) due to the untimely death of Oliver Reed.
- Ridley Scott decided to reshoot all Kevin Spacey's scenes as J Paul Getty just 6 weeks before the official release date of December 22,2017. Christopher Plummer took over the role in "All the Money in the World". This was the second time Scott was faced with drastic re-shoots during his career. He had previously almost had to abandon Gladiator (2000) due to the untimely death of Oliver Reed.
- The film's cast includes one Oscar winner: Christopher Plummer, and two Oscar nominees: Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg.
- Christopher Plummer claimed he was prepared to replace Kevin Spacey as J. Paul Getty on short notice because he had previously been considered for the role and had read the script.
- Director Ridley Scott worked with actor Balthazar Getty, who is the son of John Paul Getty III, on White Squall (1996). With All the Money in the World (2017) Scott is now telling the story of Balthazar Getty's father, who was kidnapped in Italy in 1973.