Trivia for A Wrinkle in Time
Showing all 16 items
- The second collaboration between Oprah Winfrey, Andre Holland, and director Ava DuVernay following Selma (2014).
- A Wrinkle in Time (2018) marks the live action filmmaking debut of Jennifer Lee, who is best known for writing and/or directing films for Walt Disney Animation Studios: Wreck-It Ralph (2012), Frozen (2013), Frozen Fever (2015), and Zootopia (2016).
- This is the first major motion picture adaptation of the classic novel written by Madeleine L'Engle since the 2003 television film adaptation, 15 years prior.
- Amy Adams and Kevin Hart were rumored to be in the film.
- In 2010, it was announced that Walt Disney Pictures retained the film rights to remake the novel, following the television film version aired in 2003. Following the success of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2010), Disney announced hiring Jeff Stockwell to write the screenplay for Cary Granat and his new Bedrock Studios. Cary Granat had previously worked with Disney on the Chronicles of Narnia and Bridge to Terabithia films. The project's budget was $35 million, which the company compares to District 9 (2009) and Bridge to Terabithia (2007), both of which had less than $30 million. For reasons unknown, the project was put in development hell. It wouldn't be until four years later, on August 5, 2014, that Disney announced that Jennifer Lee would be the screenwriter for the film, who had a new take on the book and would not be working from Stockwell's draft.
- The second collaboration between Reese Witherspoon and Chris Pine following This Means War (2012).
- The cast and crew shot scenes in New Zealand for two weeks. During shooting, they were treated to a traditional Maori powhiri and karakia, by the indigenous peoples of New Zealand. The cast and crew enjoyed shooting in New Zealand and frequently spoke about their love for the country.
- Zach Galifianakis and Michael Peña worked on a Lego movie released in 2017. Galifanis voiced Joker in The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) and Peña voiced Kai in The LEGO Ninjago Movie (2017).
- Chris Pine and Michael Peña worked on at least one superhero movie. Pine was in Wonder Woman (2017) and Peña was both Ant-Man movies.
- This is Mindy Kaling's first live action Disney movie. She voiced Taffyta Muttonfudge in Wreck-It Ralph (2012) and Disgust in Inside Out (2015).
- Mindy Kaling and Will McCormack were both on The Office (2005).
- Rowan Blanchard was rumored for a small unknown part.
- The cover of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) played in the first promotional trailer is performed by Keeley Bumford.
- Mindy Kaling and Reese Witherspoon each appeared in an episode of The Muppets. (2015), whilst Zach Galifanakis appeared in both The Muppets (2011) and Muppets Most Wanted (2014).
- With this film, Ava Duvernay will be the first female African-American Director (third overall female) to helm a movie which has a budget exceeding 100 million dollars
- The filmmakers compared the film to the fantasy stories District 9 (2009) and Bridge to Terabithia (2007).